
The Trump administration also announced the formation of a $1.7 billion fund to reimburse allies of the Republican president who think they have been prejudicially probed and prosecuted.
By Catholics for Catholics
On Monday, the Trump administration announced the formation of a $1.7 billion fund to reimburse allies of the Republican president who think they have been prejudicially probed and prosecuted, a deal that Democrats and government watchdogs disparaged as “corrupt” and unconstitutional.
The settlement, which is called the “Anti-Weaponization Fund” of $1.776 billion, is part of a deal that resolves President Donald Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns. It will permit people who believe they were targeted for prosecution for political purposes, including by the Biden administration Justice Department, to apply for payouts, forming what acting Attorney General Todd Blanche called “a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”
“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” Blanche said in a statement that made no mention of how investigations and prosecutions of Trump’s political opponents under his watch have exposed the Justice Department to the same claims of politicized law enforcement that he said he opposed.
On Monday, the President’s attorneys filed a court notice voluntarily dismissing his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS and the Treasury Department, in a case that blamed the agencies for failing to stop a former contractor from leaking Trump’s tax returns to the media, according to a story by The Epoch Times.
In January, Trump, along with two of his sons and the Trump family business, sued the IRS and the Treasury Department, indicting both agencies for not taking obligatory safeguards to prevent former IRS contractor Charles “Chaz” Littlejohn from illicitly gaining access to their tax records and revealing that information to The New York Times and ProPublica.
The lawsuit contended that Littlejohn had “staff-like access” to confidential tax return information and exploited weaknesses in IRS safeguards to obtain and leak the records between 2019 and 2020.
Save and Share This Catholic Patriotic Minute!